Village Hiadeľ



Hiadeľ is a picturesque village located on the southern slope of the Low Tatras, at the base of the valley is the river Vážna (9.6 km). Due to its location, the village is also a part of the Low Tatras National Park (NAPANT). Hiadeľ has just one road through it which means it is relatively isolated from surrounding villages. There are marked forest roads and trails that are perfect for hiking trips to surrounding hills Hiadeľské sedlo (1099 m), Kozí chrbát (1330 m) and Prašivá (1652 m).


Fir tree

The original name of the village is not known. Several documents from various time periods show different variations of the name, e.g. Hedel (1424), Hedewl, Hedellehota (1455), Hodlerdolf (1563), and Hodlergrund (1622).

There is also an unconfirmed theory stating, that the village is named after the noble lady called Hedel, who once owned part of the estate in Hiadeľ.

František Šujanský, a Roman catholic priest, linguist and ethnographer from Selce (Slovakia) associates the name of the village with fir trees (in Goral dialekt), because Hiadeľ is in the midst of extensive fir forests.

The original inhabitants of Hiadeľ are thought to be polish colonists or colonists from Horná Orava (North of Slovakia).

History of the village since its establishment to 1945

Hiadeľ was established in approximately the early 14th century. The first written record of the village is dated from 1424. In the Middle Ages, the villagers made their living by silver mining. In the late 16th century woodcutting became more popular and was the main occupation of the villagers for many years after.

In the past, Hiadeľ was considered to be one of the most underdeveloped and poorest villages in the region. There was very little fertile land and unemployment was high. In these tough times, both the men and women endeavored to improve the socio-economic standards of the village. A lot of the women earned extra income by weaving and selling cloths and carpets. Despite these difficulties the people of Hiadeľ were good, honest, modest and tough.


In Hiadeľ, as well as in other regions of Slovakia, the architecture was predominantly folk consisting of log houses with 2 or 3 bedrooms and an open courtyard. Most residences were a two-storey houses with one bedroom, covered by a hip roof under shingles. Almost all were multigenerational households with typically 7-8 people living in one house.

Listed building number 110Listed building number 104


The traditional folk costume worn in Hiadeľ was a variation of the traditional Slovak costume called detviansky/podkonický kroj (garb). The men wore a short shirt and trousers from coarse linen, a wide leather belt, boots and a round cap or hat. The women wore an underskirt made from domestic hemp cloth or linen, embroidered vest (oplecko), skirt and a richly quilted or embroidered apron. Married women also wore a bonnet.

Slovak National Uprising

Hiadeľ and its residents played a significant role in the history of the Slovak National Uprising. In early August 1944, residents of Hiadeľ helped partisans by supplying food and carrying weapons and ammunition to the hill Prašivá.

A lot of residents joined Jegorov partisan group. Other fighting able men joined the rebel army. Hiadeľ also had a training camp with military field hospital.

By the decision of UŠPH (Ukrainian Partisan Movement) in Kiev the Czechoslovak partisan brigade Stalin was created. This brigade was created from partisan units deployed in Hiadeľ under the leadership of major A.S. Jegorov. It was one of the biggest brigades in Slovakia.

On October 26th, 1944, a battalion of the Czechoslovak para-troopers brigade with a tactical group unit retreated from the fascists through Zvolen and Hiadeľ.

On October 29th, 1944, Hiadeľské sedlo was shelled by mortars. During these battles, fascist units located in the lower parts of Hiadeľské sedlo and Kozí chrbát captured a lot of the citizens, many were subject to racially motivated persecution. The captured and wounded partisans and rebel soldiers were shot to death and buried in four mass graves, in total sixty-four Jewish citizens and eighteen partisans and rebel soldiers lost their lives.

Residents in Hiadeľ retreated to hills from where they continued to help rebels. In the winter months of 1944 and 1945 they supplied partisans with food, warm clothing and necessary materials. Moreover they hid and treated wounded partisans in their own homes.

In memory and out of respect for the fallen soldiers in the Slovak National Uprising, several memorials and commemorative plaques were built in Hiadeľ and the surrounding areas.

Citizens of Hiadeľ and Slovenská Ľupča carrying weapons and ammunition to the hill Prašivá during SNUMilitary field hospital during SNU

Economic, social and cultural development since 1945

After World War ll all aspects of life were subject to rapid modernization. Housing, clothing, language and education were changing so fast that people didn't have time to even register all the changes.

There was a significant increase in home construction In Hiadeľ.

  • Since 1945, there was 136 family homes built and 32 homes were reconstructed (81% of the total housing stock).
  • Electric lights illuminated homes for the first time on April 17, 1956.
  • In 1945 a regular bus service was established in Hiadeľ.
  • In 1977 they laid the first asphalt roads and built the first bus stops called "waiting rooms."
  • In 1991 construction commenced on the Roman Catholic Church in Hiadeľ. The corner-stone of the church was consecrated by Pope John Paul ll in 1990 in Bratislava.

During the Slovak National Uprising A.S. Jegorov´s partisan group was situated in Hiadeľ. They also set up military field hospital which today is used as a school building. The village was liberated in March 22, 1945.

Hiadeľ was awarded with the Order of the Red Star and the Commemorative medal of the SNP (Slovak National Uprising) for its participation in the Slovak National Uprising.


New home construction in 1940sNew home construction in 1940sCommemorative medal of the SNP